Combining my two passions, reading and writing, I thought I would start a new blog about books. I have an obsession with books: old books, new books, kid books, adult books, travel books, cookbooks, red fish, blue fish, one fish, two fish...oh, sorry...that is my ADHD kickin' in...lol. Anyways, where was I....yes, I love books; I would love to have my own huge library, I love the way books look on shelves, I get excited when book orders come home from school with the boys, and I wish I had more spare time just to read millions of books while sitting on the beach or relaxing in a hammock. With this blog, I would like to share my love for the written word with you; do book reviews, tell you what I love about a book, or share what I learned/gained from a book. So sit back, relax, and enjoy :)

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pride and Prejudice


Being an English Education major, I am ashamed to admit that I have not even read some of the "greatest" novels that so many people are very well acquainted with, such as Pride and Prejudice. I have watched the movie several times over, even four times in one week...I just can't get enough of Mr. Darcy! However, I have just never sat down and read the book. But I am now, and I am already very much in love with it as well. I am a helpless romantic, and love a story where the passion is undeniable, espcially when it goes against all odds.

I will probably be making quite a few posts from this novel as I am very much enjoying it. Right now I have just finished Chapter ten, and this is one of the two things that stuck with me: where Elizabeth had noticed that often enough, Mr. Darcy’s eyes had made their way to gaze upon her...I love it! However, this is what I do not like; her insecurity as she questions why would such a great man dwell on the likes of her…“because there was a something about her more wrong and reprehensible, according to his ideas of right, than in any other person present.” She is very much unaware of his growing affection for her, and she questions her own worth of ever even being one to draw in the fixation of such a fine gentlemen, and this is something I unfortunatly know all too well; I write often on the threatening disease of insecurity. Its hold on my life had choked me for far too many years, until the strong hands of God pulled me from the depths of my dark and dreary pit, finally setting my feet on the solid rock of Christ. Gaining a firm foundation of confidence, I am now able to live a more abundant life.

I also have a love/hate relationship with this line from the same chapter, “He (Mr. Darcy) really believed, that were it not for the inferiority of her connections, he should be in some danger.” He’s falling in love….yet at the same time degrading her; this of course is the whole famous twist of this passionate tale of two worlds: the rich and the poor, colliding—letting go of prejudices and following one’s heart, and in the end finding happiness in spite of a world of differences.

I can’t wait to read on…

No comments:

Post a Comment